School Days Posted on October 4, 2017 The first recorded school in Ocoee, Florida dates to 1876, when class was held beneath a brush arbor by Starke Lake. A small building was later constructed on the site of the Methodist Church parking lot. One side of this building could be removed so that the children could keep warm by a fire in the colder months. In 1885, a new two room school building was constructed, which became known as Ocoee’s Little Red Schoolhouse. Then in 1899 the city purchased three additional acres of land, where a two story white schoolhouse was eventually built. This photograph shows the student body of the Ocoee School in 1918. It is currently on display in the lobby of the West Oaks Branch Library and Genealogy Center, along with many other pictures and school-related antiques from Ocoee’s past. Come on in to see for yourself! All items are on loan from the Friends of Ocoee History Preservation.